Riverside Six | Seven | Eight’s superb Frederick location is one of the campus’s greatest assets. The second largest city in Maryland with a population of over 230,000, Frederick offers a skilled, educated local workforce of nearly 100,000, which is enhanced by a regional draw from three surrounding states.
Photo by Tim Jacobsen
- Northern anchor to the I-270 Technology Corridor, located less than 49 miles to DC and Baltimore
- Sits at the crossroads of two major interstates, 270 and 70
- TransIT bus stop service with direct connect to the MARC train service to Washington, DC
- Less than an hour from three of the nation’s busiest airports
- Home to the third busiest general aviation airport in Maryland
A City on the Rise
Steeped in rich heritage, Frederick offers an exceptional quality of life combined with a balanced and thriving economy. With the distinction of being named one of America’s smartest cities by Forbes.com, Frederick – like many robust regional cities – is in a period of continued business expansion.
- Smart growth plan with over 795 acres strategically annexed in 2009
- Modern utilities to meet the demands of today’s most technically advanced companies
- New government strongly advocates business growth
- Regional air services handles 150,000 aircraft operations annually
- Infrastructure support underway to help sustain the area’s rapid growth
Business in Frederick
Frederick is home to numerous prominent employers, including Fort Detrick and NCI – Frederick National Laboratory for Cancer Research, and a variety of biotech, technology, manufacturing, services and tourism businesses. Emerging as a leading national location for the bioscience industry, Frederick is located within the third largest biotech cluster in the country. Entrepreneurship is alive and strong and supported by Frederick Innovative Technology Center (FITCI) and a hands-on Entrepreneur Support Network (ESN).
Bechtel | CSC | General Dynamics | Life Technologies | Lockheed Martin | Lonza Walkersville | MedImmune | SAIC-Frederick | State Farm | United Healthcare | Wells Fargo
Fort Detrick – 1,200 acre Army Medical Command Installation that houses five cabinet-level agencies and is undergoing a $3.2 billion dollar expansion over the span of 10 years.
NCI – Frederick National Laboratory for Cancer Research – Situated on 70 acres within Fort Detrick and 32 acres at Riverside Research Park. The new research facility is slated to open in 2012.
Other Prominent Centers:
- U.S. Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases (USAMRIID)
- U.S. Army Medical Research and Materiel Command (USAMRMC)
- National Interagency Biodefense Campus (NIBC)
- National Biodefense Analysis and Countermeasures Center (NBACC)
- National Institutes of Allergies and Infectious Disease (NIAID)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)